Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Official Results, Tentative Treatment Plan & Bone Marrow Biopsy

Wednesday, October 24, we had an appointment with Dr. K. to get a bone marrow biopsy, to get the official diagnosis: Classical Nodular Hodgkin's Lymphoma and to discuss the treatment plan.

Before coming to the appointment, we knew that Dr. K. wanted to take a bone marrow sample, which is supposed to be a painful process.  So, after talking to a LOT of people (doctors and lymphoma survivors included), I thought Donny should wait until we talked to the doctor at Northwestern before he got the bone marrow biopsy done.  So Donny and I discussed it and (I semi-forced him) agreed that we wouldn't get the bone marrow biopsy done.  In fairness to me, Donny's parents also agreed that he should wait.  We are going to Northwestern to meet Dr. P. on Thursday, October 25 (tomorrow), at one of the best cancer centers in the country, so we all felt more comfortable doing the entire process there.

Treatment Plan
Dr. K. said before he can plan out a definite treatment plan he needs to determine what stage the cancer is in.  To do this, Donny needs a PET Scan, a scan of the whole body, to make sure there are no masses anywhere else in his body. If there are masses below is diaphragm, the cancer is at least stage 3.  The bone marrow biopsy is done to determine if the cancer is in stage 4 (the test would have to come back positive).  Donny will also need a MUGA Scan, a scan of the heart, to make sure it's strong enough to handle chemo.

Even so, Dr. K. presented a tentative treatment plan: 4 - 6 months of chemotherapy, followed by radiation to the chest because according to him, there is a 'large mass' in the chest.  I put 'large mass' in parenthesis because Dr. K. continued to repeat this phrase over and over again as we listened to the treatment plan he was proposing.  He also proceeded to tell us that this 'large mass' could potentially effect Donny's heart and lungs if we didn't act quick enough.  I knew that the CT Scan was not good, but hearing 'large mass in the chest' over and over again really got my anxiety going.  And I wasn't the only one this affected.

When the doctor stepped out for a minute, Donny, who has been extremely positive and strong through all this, started listing out how long it will take to reschedule the bone marrow biopsy after we got the second opinion at Northwestern.  He then continued to list the timeline of how long it would take to get the other 2 scans, wait for those results, go see a fertility doctor, and finalize a treatment plan before he could actually start treatment.  Donny is extremely laid back and relaxed so even though he was seemingly calm while listing out this timeline, I could tell he was anxious and nervous about waiting on the bone marrow biopsy.  Donny's mom picked up on this too because we both just looked at each other and sighed and let Donny get the biopsy done.

Bone Marrow Biopsy

For those of you who don't know what a bone marrow biopsy consists of, here you go.  The doctor rolls you on your side, pulls your shirt up, your pants slightly down and pokes around in your lower back to feel for your hip bone.  He then takes local anesthetic and sticks a needle in your back to numb the area.  Since Donny is a big, strong guy, it took 3 vials of anesthetic (most people only need 1) to numb his back.  But he doesn't just stick the needle straight in your back, he sticks it in sideways and repeats in a circle around the hip bone area.  It was like watching liposuction (if you've ever watched a makeover show, I'm sure you've seen this), but with a needle, which to me, sounds more painful!!  After that, the doctor took another needle and shoved it in Donny's back has hard as he could.  When he thought it was in far enough, he attached a syringe and counted down to 3...apparently sucking the bone marrow out is the most painful part.  One, two, three...nothing happened.  At this time, I didn't even realize it, but I was holding my breath.  The doctor pulled the needle out, wiped the blood off and shoved it back in even harder this time. One, two, three....Ahhhhhhh!  This time the syringe slowly filled with blood.  It felt like 10 minutes, even though it was probably only 10 seconds, but it couldn't have felt good because Donny was audibly in pain.

Thank goodness Mrs. Gelsomino was there because she and I were squeezing each other's hands so hard that I thought I had broken her hand.  I felt like I was in a horror movie watching all this.  My right hand was squeezing Mrs. Gel's hand, my left thumb was plugging my left ear and my left hand fingers were blocking my view of the doctor and Donny (they were off to the left side of the room, so I had to look to the left to see). When I wanted to see, I spread my fingers slightly to take a peek.  But it was all over, so Mrs. Gel and I took a deep breath and started to relax.

"Almost done.  That was the liquid part. Now I need the bone."  Dr. K. said.  And then walked to the bone marrow kit and pulled out the most massive needle I've ever seen in my life.  Mrs. Gel and I gasped and starred in shock.  (Scroll down for pictures of the needle and bone marrow kit.)

Dr. K. clearly read our expressions and reassured us, "Don't worry, this part isn't as painful as the first part."  And he was right.  The second part wasn't as painful for Donny, but it was more painful for me to watch.  Imaging how you look when you can't get a jar of tomato sauce open.  Twisting the metal cap as hard as you can, your face turning red, your teeth grinding...that's how the doctor looked trying to get this giant needle into Donny's back.  Donny was wiggling back and forth trying to brace himself while Dr. K. was twisting and shoving the needle as hard as he could into his back.  Finally, Dr. K. hit the bone and got what he needed.  During this process, the nurse was telling Donny to take deep breaths.  And I found myself doing the deep breaths right along with them so I wouldn't pass out. In and out...heeeee hoooo heeee hoooo.

Donny was a trooper and took it like a champ.  Although he's been a bit sore tonight, Donny said it wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be so he was relieved.

Dr. K. said he would be very surprised if this biopsy came back positive and that Donny is one tough guy with healthy bones.  Donny's so tough that he bent the giant needle...take a look:

Here's a look at the bone marrow kit after the test was done and the samples were put on the slides:




Tomorrow we meet with Dr. P. at Northwestern.  I'm really looking forward to going down there and seeing what plan he lays out for Donny.

No comments:

Post a Comment